Replacing a traditional bathtub with a walk-in bathtub is an exciting new upgrade to any bathroom space! It is luxurious, therapeutic, and great for bathroom safety. However, you may be asking yourself how to maintain your new walk-in bathtub. We’ll be going over everything you need to know to keep your walk-in bathtub spotless, from the cleaning supplies to how often tubs should be cleaned.
Things You’ll Need
- Soft cloth
- Bathroom cleaner or all-purpose spray (chose one that is non-abrasive)
- Clean water
Things to Avoid While Cleaning the Walk In Bathtub
- Do not use harsh cleaners and chemicals that you would use on a traditional bathtub. These products can damage your walk-in bathtub by harming the finish.
- Abrasive cleaners often contain acids, alcohol, ammonia, bleach, or waxes. Be careful to avoid using products with these chemicals on your tub, and use mild cleaners instead.
- Do not use abrasive cleaning tools such as abrasive sponges, metal scrapers, wire brushes, scouring pads, or bristle brushes. These tools can scratch walk-in tubs and dull their surfaces.
- Do not run jets while the tub is dry/empty, as this can damage the tub.
Walk In Bathtub Daily Cleaning Tips
Cleaning walk-in tubs daily takes just a few minutes but can benefit your bathroom space by making it feel clean and maintaining the great condition of your tub. Here are some easy ways to clean your walk-in bathtub after a bath:
- Using warm, clean water, rinse off the tub and fixtures. Try to rinse off any soap residue that may be in the tub.
- Rinse all soap residue down the drain.
- Using a non-abrasive cloth and the mild cleaner of your choice, wipe down tub surfaces. These include the entry, seat, and other surfaces.
- Wipe down the bath walls and faucets with a non-abrasive cloth and mild cleaner.
Weekly & Monthly Cleaning
Cleaning traditional walk-in tubs during your weekly or monthly home cleanings is great for preventing build-up and maintaining a clean tub. Here are some simple steps to perform this cleaning:
- With hot water, fill the tub to seat height
- Add 2 or 3 tablespoons of low-foaming detergent to the hot water (dishwashing detergent granules are an option)
- Run the tub jets for approximately 10 minutes
- Drain the tub completely, fill it with clean water, and run the jets again. This will fully rinse out your tub.
Deep Cleaning Walk In Bathtubs
Deep cleanings are like hitting the reset button on a space. It can revitalize it, making the space feel clean and fresh. Every month or two, consider deep cleaning your walk-in bathtub. This cleaning can help walk-in tubs function properly over their lifetime. To deep clean walk-in tubs:
- Fill the tub to the height of the seat
- Using rubber gloves and safety glasses, add 1/2 cup of bleach and 2 tablespoons of dishwashing granules.
- Fill the tub with hot water until the water level is over the jets.
- Run the jets for 15 minutes. Stop and let sit for 5 minutes, then run tub jets again for an additional 15 minutes.
- Drain the tub and refill with clean water.
- Run jets for 15 minutes to rinse the walk-in tub.
After choosing a walk-in tub, you want to make sure it stays in pristine condition. By keeping up with cleaning your walk-in bathtub, you will prevent soap and grime from building up. This will make future cleanings easier, as you won’t need to scrub so hard to remove this built-up grime. Instead of scrubbing, you’ll have much more time to soak and enjoy relaxing in your bathtub.
Cleaning walk-in tubs using our tips will keep the tub looking beautiful and maintain its excellent condition. With your tub sparkling clean, you will be able to show off this exciting upgrade to your bathroom space for years to come.